Spring is almost here! And it is supposed to be a season to get rid of all the clutter you gathered during the winter and get prepared for the new year in a fresh and clean house. Even if you don’t spring clean traditionally, it’s nice to go over everything to see if you’ve missed anything during the year. And it’s always great to have some help. Follow these next steps to clean your entire house easily and fast, with the help of your kids. We gathered some essential steps for each of the rooms in the house and each room has a paragraph with kid friendly tasks written in italics. Let’s get this spring cleaning party started!
- Take out all items from cabinets and drawers, clean the inside of it with warm water and leave cabinet doors open to air out. Place items back neatly, throw away or donate unused items and sharpen the knives before you put them back in. /**ask your children to help you cleaning up the food and pans cabinets, clean by yourself when it comes to china or glassware. **/
- Organize pantry.
- Wipe the kitchen sink with an all purpose spray and do not forget to clean under the sink too. Clean the drain if necessary. Throw away empty bottles, clean up flower vases and all already used rags.
- Clean all the kitchen appliances. Put a damp sponge in the microwave for 1 minute for easier cleaning, clean blender by blending warm water and soap.
- Empty dishwasher, remove bottom components and soak it in hot water with 3 cups of vinegar for half of an hour. Place it back. Take 1 cup of white vinegar and place it on the bottom dishwasher rack, and 1/2 cup of baking soda on the top one and run it.
- Remove all items from the refrigerator and freezer and wipe down the inside with a combination of hot water and baking soda. Check expiration dates, before you put everything back inside. Vacuum refrigerator coils.
- Clean the oven and stove-top.
Kitchen Spring Cleaning Tasks for Kids
- remove items from cabinets
- clean the inside of the cabinets
- wipe lower cabinet doors and knobs
- remove items from refrigerator
- wipe the table and chairs
- Remove everything from the shower and deep clean it. Rinse the walls and floor of shower with hot water and vinegar, remove hard water spots and rinse the shower head.
- Go through the medicine cabinet and clean out expired medicines.
- Scrub the toilet, wipe the toilet seat, back and entire outside.
- Pour white vinegar down the sink drain and flush with hot water.
- Wash mirrors.
- Turn on the hot water in the shower for 5 minutes, turn it off, clean the doors and let the steam do all the work. Come back in 20 minutes and wipe down all the surfaces with a clean cloth.
Bathroom Spring Cleaning Tasks for Kids
- rinse the shower head
- wipe mirrors
- clean steamed bathroom – make sure you use natural cleaners, that are not dangerous for kids
- Dust and polish all wood furniture.
- Move bed and vacuum under it. Strip sheets off mattress, sprinkle some baking soda all over to cover it completely and leave it on for an hour, after that vacuum off completely. /**ask your kids to help you with sprinkling soda on bed**/
- Wash pillows, covers and blankets. Replace sheets and pillowcases.
- Remove everything from closets. Donate clothes if you haven’t worn them in the last 12 months, and toss if they are torn, stained or out of style
Bedroom Spring Cleaning Tasks for Kids
- dust furniture
- sprinkle baking soda on mattress and vacuum it off
- replace sheets and pillowcases
- Dust ceilings, corners and walls. Start at the highest point of the room so the dust falls to the floor.
- Remove all the books and decor from shelves and dust thoroughly.
- Dust and clean hanging pictures and its frames.
- Wash the windows with glass cleaner spritzed on newspaper.
- Vacum carpets and beat cushions outside by hand to remove dust. /**Children can help you with vacuuming.**/
- Open the windows for fresh air.
Living Room Spring Cleaning Tasks for Kids
- dust walls and floor
- vacuum carpets
- beat cushions
AROUND THE HOUSE
- Wash walls if needed.
- Vacuum and wash floors. Polish the wood floors.
- Wash all the doors around the house.
- Dust the wall art and wipe the frames around the pictures.
- Clean windows, wipe the blinds and wash the curtains.
- Kids can wipe the light switches, you can vent covers, dust and wipe all the light fixtures.
Spring should be a fun and positive time of the year so make sure you avoid any unnecessary fights over the cleaning. Maybe our family friendly chore management app Homey can help you with that! We prepared a Spring cleaning chore pack right in the Homey app, so you won’t have to waste time planning and managing Spring cleaning tasks for everyone. All the kid friendly chores have a kid icon next to it and all the tasks are colour coded by rooms. All you have to do is assign the chores to your family and watch how everything gets done! There is even a leader-board in the app, so you can make a fun competition out of spring cleaning. Download it now for iOS or Android – and let us know how it helped you with spring cleaning!Tags: Children Activities, Cleaning, Family, Spring, Tips